- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 4 small potatoes
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 10 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 6 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp whole wheat or brown-rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1½ cups fresh herbs, chopped (Try: basil, dill, oregano, parsley, rosemary, tarragon or thyme)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Coat a large ovenproof skillet with oil and set on medium heat. Add onions, potatoes and mushrooms, and sauté.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites into a white froth.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the whole eggs, then add milk, flour, baking powder, sea salt and pepper. Fold in the egg whites and sprinkle in the herbs. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet with the sautéed vegetables. Cover the handle in aluminum foil before placing in the oven.
- Bake 15–20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving
Nutrients per serving (279 g):Calories: 244, Total Fats: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 107 mg, Sodium: 316 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 31 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 16 g, Iron: 3 mg
By Elizabeth Brown